1 Fillet of Beef, or striploin, suitable size for meal required
1 tbs Olive oil
Pate & sliced mushrooms or 1 onion, finely chopped & 4 rashers bacon
2-3 Frozen pastry sheets
1 egg, beaten
- Tie meat with string, heat 1 tbs olive oil in pan and sear meat on all sides. Cool, remove string.
- Finely chop and lightly fry onion and bacon if using.
- Join 2 thawed pastry sheets together carefully, to get a piece big enough to fit fillet on.
- Spread some pate over centre of pastry, press on sliced mushrooms and place meat on pastry, cover with rest of pate and mushrooms. Or use bacon and onion mix.
- Fold pastry over meat and seal meat inside pastry. Sit meat on the pastry fold in baking tray.
- Decorate top with pastry leaves etc. Brush with beaten egg and milk.
- Bake in hot oven (200°) for 15 minutes, then lower to moderate (180°) and cook for 25 minutes for medium rare; or for medium cook for further 10 minutes.