THE PERFECT CORNED BEEF
The RQM butchers are now making our own Corned Beef! It is made from the silverside cut using our 100% MSA graded beef.
A meal of corned beef has been a family favourite for generations, it was something our grandmothers used to cook and it is very rightly making a comeback.
The great thing about cooking a piece of corned meat is that you will have cold meat for lunch the next day, unless you eat it all for dinner of course!
1.5kg piece of RQM Corned Beef
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 bay leaves
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp cloves
1 onion, quartered
Stove Top Instructions
- Rinse beef in cold water. Place in large pot and cover with cold water.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, simmer slowly with lid on until the meat is tender (about 1.5 -2 hours depending on the size).
When cooked the meat will slip easily off a carving fork inserted in the centre of the meat.
- The cooked meat can be allowed to cool in the cooking water and reheated in the microwave when needed either in the whole piece or sliced.
- Serve hot with steamed vegetables and a delicious sauce for a wonderful family meal. I would suggest using whole baby potatoes, carrots or pumpkin and beans, or the traditional accompaniment for corned beef, steamed sliced cabbage.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Rinse meat and place in slow cooker, add all the other ingredients and barely cover with water.
Cover, cook on Low for 8 – 10 hours or on High for 5 – 6 hours.
How to carve Corned Beef
Place meat fat side up on carving board and look for the direction of grain. If you’re not sure how it runs, cut off a thin slice or two to check. Always slice meat ACROSS the grain to ensure tenderness.
Sauce Options to go with your RQM Corned Beef